If you love Almond Joy bars, you’ll love our almond joy cookie recipe. The combination of coconut, almonds, and chocolate is so good and these cookie bars are the perfect ratio of all three. Not only is there a healthy sprinkling of coconut and almonds on top of the chocolate layer, but they’re mixed into the cookie dough. So this almond joy cookie recipe is exactly what the name says – almond joy bars in cookie form. The golden buttery cookie bars are bursting with coconut and almond flavor, and the layer of rich chocolate on top ties the whole thing together. They’re chewy and melt in your mouth; the shredded coconut and almonds add to the texture. Whether almond joys are your favorite candy bar or you want to spice up your usual chocolate chip cookies, this almond joy cookie recipe is for you!
Cookies vs Bars vs Blondies
Technically these are bars, based on how we cut them. But the cool thing about this recipe is you can easily make them into cookies if you want. Instead of pressing the dough into a 9×13″ pan, roll a tablespoon or two into a ball and line on a prepared baking sheet. Bake the cookies for 7-9 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Cookies taste different when they’re in bar form and we just loved how these bars looked! Blondies on the other hand are denser and have a gooey-er consistency compared to cookie bars. If you want an almond joy blondie recipe, let us know in the comments and we’ll experiment! 🙂
An Almond Joy is a bar of sweetened coconut, topped with an almond, and covered in chocolate. If you’ve never had one, we highly suggest trying one and then making these bars!
We always err on the side of caution and underbake treats that we like on the gooey side. We take these out of the oven when a toothpick comes out *mostly* clean. The bars will continue to bake as they cool.
You can use sweetened or unsweetened, just know if you use sweetened, they’ll be a little sweeter!
We use milk but dark would be delicious too! You can use whatever your preference is.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
If you make our almond joy cookies recipe, please rate and review it below! We also love connecting on social media so snap a photo and tag us @theperfectpear8 so we can see and share it!Print
Almond Joy Cookie Recipe
The golden buttery cookie bars are bursting with coconut and almond flavor, and the layer of rich chocolate on top ties the whole thing together. They’re chewy and melt in your mouth; the shredded coconut and almonds add to the texture. Whether almond joys are your favorite candy bar or you want to spice up your usual chocolate chip cookies, this almond joy cookie recipe is for you!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 18 cookies 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, plus 1/4 cup for topping
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, plus 1 cup for topping
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, plus 1/4 cup for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9×13″ baking dish with parchment paper.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, cream butter and both sugars until combined. Add egg and vanilla extract.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients into the wet and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add 3/4 cup coconut, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, and 1/2 cup sliced almonds.
- Once add-ins are mixed through the dough, spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- As soon as they’re taken out of the oven, sprinkle 1 cup chocolate chips on top. Wait 5-7 minutes or until chocolate chips have melted. Using a butter knife or back of a spatula, spread chocolate evenly across the bars.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of coconut and 1/4 cup almonds on top of the chocolate before it cools.
- Let bars finish cooling, about 30 minutes. Slice into bars and enjoy!
- Store these almond joy cookies in an air-tight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.
- You can omit any add-ins/toppings or replace with any toppings you want!
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 323
- Sugar: 25
- Sodium: 147
- Fat: 19
- Saturated Fat: 11
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 37
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 44