If you love gooey, chewy, dense desserts, you've come to the right place. Enter: our blondies. They are buttery, rich, and have a slight caramel flavor, which in our eyes, makes them the best gooey blondies recipe you NEED to try.
Main points with this blondies recipe
- Using dark brown sugar will give them a sweeter, richer flavor (but light brown sugar will do the trick!)
- The eggs MUST be at room temperature before using! Combining cold eggs + warm sugar/butter mix can result in buttery brown sugar scrambled eggs, which may not be bad but it's not what we want for this recipe.
- When combining the wet and dry ingredients, fold until JUST combined. We don't want any clumps so be sure the ingredients are completely mixed but do not overmix. Overmixing the batter can result in tough, dry blondies.
- The blondies may not look completely cooked through when the top is golden brown (and ready to be taken out) but this is okay! The middle will continue to cook as they cool and we want the middle to be a little gooey (hence the name - the best gooey blondies recipe). Trust us.
- Wait at least 5 minutes after pulling them out of the oven to let them cool and have a nice cold glass of milk ready to go, because that's the best way to enjoy these blondies!
This recipe all started when our friend Grant sent us matcha chocolate for Lauren's birthday. It was delicious on its own but we wanted to devise a recipe that used the matcha chocolate. Thus, the best gooey blondies recipe was born. We first made these blondies with butterscotch chips and they were SO good. Then we tried them with the matcha chocolate and wow. With Saint Patrick's Day coming up, it was a match(a) made in heaven. We started thinking of other flavors we could add because this recipe is very versatile.
Other flavor combinations for this blondies recipe
- Original - butterscotch chips
- Matcha - matcha chocolate (perfect for Saint Patrick's Day!)
- Classic - chocolate chips (milk or dark)
- White chocolate - white chocolate chips
- Nutty - chopped pecans or walnuts
- M&M - plain, peanut butter, caramel, peanut, pretzel, hazelnut M&Ms
- Sweet and salty - crushed pretzels + chocolate chips + sprinkle with sea salt
- Chocolate mint - chopped mint chocolate bar (like Andes mints or peppermint patties)
- Peanut butter chocolate and/or Nutella - swirl peanut butter or Nutella (on top before baking) + chocolate chips
- Cookie butter - swirl cookie butter (on top before baking)
- White chocolate cranberry - white chocolate chip + dried cranberries
- Caramel - pieces of your favorite caramel + chocolate chips + sprinkle with sea salt
The Best Gooey Blondies Recipe
We promise these blondies won't disappoint. They're gooey, rich, and delicious. Use your favorite add-ins like pecans, butterscotch chips, or chocolate chips in this versatile recipe!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 24 squares 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups dark brown sugar (packed)
- 2 eggs plus 1 yolk (at room temperature)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup add-ins of your choice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° and prepare a 9x13" baking dish.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat and mix in brown sugar until fully combined. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool, stirring periodically. Add vanilla extract.
*Be sure to let mixture cool! If you do the next step while it's still hot, the eggs will scramble and you'll be left with sweet buttery scrambled eggs (I'll pass lol).
- While the butter/sugar mixture cools, whisk flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a medium bowl.
- Add eggs and egg yolk one at a time to the butter/sugar mixture and mix well.
- Fold wet and dry ingredients together until just combined and there are no clumps.
*Do not overmix! Overmixing the batter can lead to tough, dry, blondies and no one wants that.
- Stir in any add-ins.
- Pour into greased baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
*The middle will still be gooey - this is okay! The middle will finish cooking as they cool.
- Let cool (if you can) and enjoy!
These blondies will last at room-temperature in an air-tight container for up to a week.
Keywords: blondies, blondies recipe, butterscotch blondies, chocolate chip blondies, dessert ideas, matcha blondies
Leave a Reply