Flavored simple syrups can totally transform a cocktail. We absolutely love this simple syrup recipe for cocktails because it's easy and versatile. We used jalapeños for this recipe but any fruit, vegetable, or herb can be substituted to give your next cocktail a unique flavor!
All it takes is 3 ingredients: water, sugar, and jalapeños (or whatever fruit, veggie, or herb you want to use). We used half turbinado sugar and half white sugar to give the simple syrup a light brown color. The color of the syrup shouldn't significantly impact your cocktail, but we like it brown for that chic "mixology" aesthetic.
To start, combine sugar and water in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil. Then add the jalapeños once the sugar has completely dissolved. Continue boiling for about 2 minutes and then remove from heat. Now you want to let it cool. Next, strain out the jalapeños and seeds and pour the syrup into a jar or container. And there you have it! A simple syrup recipe for cocktails that is easy and quite piquant.
We loveeee using this jalapeño simple syrup in a spicy margarita. It gives it a slight kick without overpowering the drink. Also, since we love to repurpose food and ingredients, we 10/10 recommend using the leftover candied jalapeños on a charcuterie board or as a taco topping!
Other great simple syrup flavor ideas:
..the list goes on! Having a flavored simple syrup brings another dimension to your cocktails. We love having it on-hand and ready to go for our next at-home happy hour. Another perk - it can last in a sealed container for up to one month in the fridge!Print
Simple Syrup Recipe for Cocktails
This simple syrup recipe is fantastic in cocktails and can be easily made ahead of time!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 ounces 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar (turbinado or white)
- 2 whole jalapenos, sliced (including seeds)
- Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan on the stove.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high/high heat.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, add sliced jalapenos.
- Continue boiling for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and let sit for ~30 minutes.
- Once cooled, strain jalapeños (and seeds) out of simple syrup.
- Add to your cocktail of choice and enjoy!
- Keep in a sealed container/jar in the refrigerator.
- Will last in refrigerator for up to one month.
- You can sub any fruit, veggie, or herb for jalapenos!
Keywords: cocktail ingredients, cocktails, jalapeno simple syrup, jalapeno simple syrup recipe, simple syrup, simple syrup recipe
Leave a Reply