Our baked tortilla chips recipe is pretty simple and only uses 3 ingredients: corn or flour tortillas, oil, and seasoning! Since our recipe bakes the tortillas, it’s also healthier compared to store-bought tortilla chips or ones served in restaurants.
Healthy Tortilla Chips
The chips and salsa typically served at restaurants are addicting. We totally understand. Sometimes we fill up on them before our meal even gets to the table! Since we’re always on the hunt for easy, at-home alternatives that are more nutritious, we took a stab at making this classic snack.
Typically, tortilla chips are deep fried, making them high in fat (and thus calories). By baking them, you have healthier tortilla chips! They’re lower in fat than what you find at a restaurant for this reason. Even though they’re baked, these healthy tortilla chips are still crispy and crunchy, making them perfect for dipping in salsa, guac, as nachos, fruit salsa, in migas (breakfast scramble with tortilla chips) or alone!
Our homemade tortilla chips just require a baking sheet, parchment paper (optional), and the ingredients. Spread your oil of choice onto your favorite round tortillas, cut into 6 triangles, place on baking sheet, season, and bake! The final product will be salty, crunchy tortilla chips that aren’t greasy or heavy.
Ingredient Highlights – Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe
- Tortillas – you can use corn or flour, whichever you prefer!
- Oil – any neutral oil will work here (olive, canola, vegetable, avocado)
- Seasoning – you can use plain salt, seasoned salt (like Tony’s or Old Bay), or cinnamon sugar!
Baked Tortilla Chip Flavor ideas
- Classic salt – regular or sea salt
- Seasoned salt – Tony Chachere’s, Old Bay, or your favorite seasoned salt
- Cinnamon sugar
- Lime – squeeze fresh lime juice & sprinkle salt before baking
- Chile lime – squeeze fresh lime juice & sprinkle chile powder
Our favorite ways to eat these tortilla chips
- Dipped in salsa or our go-to guacamole
- Dipped in classic hummus or savory rosemary pumpkin hummus
- As a side for tacos, burritos, or bowls
- Dipped in fruit salsa (the cinnamon sugar ones are perfect for this!)
- Migas (breakfast scramble with crushed tortilla chips)
Either will work! We always use corn but it’s a personal preference!
Nope! You can buy (or make) whatever size tortilla you would like. You can also cut them into any size triangle or shape you prefer.
Absolutely! This shouldn’t change the recipe at all. The chips may have a nuttier, whole wheat flavor!
We usually use olive, canola, avocado or vegetable oil. We would recommend any oil that has a mild flavor so it doesn’t overpower the chips.
We use a food-safe paint brush and it works so well! You can also pour a small amount of oil (1 Tbsp or so) onto a tortilla and spread it with your hands.
Other Recipes You May Like
- Guacamole – our recipe pairs so well with these chips!
- Classic Hummus – creamy and rich (pictured above!)
- Rosemary Pumpkin Hummus
- Firecrackers – another salty, crunchy snack that we LOVE!
- Seasoned pretzels – more salty, crunchy snacks 🙂
- Fruit salsa – pairs so well with cinnamon sugar chips!
- Spicy margarita – chips, dip, and margs are a match made in heaven
Rate & Review
If you made our baked tortilla chips recipe, please rate and review it below! We would love to hear your feedback. Also snap a photo and tag us on insta @theperfectpearr so we can see your creation!Print
Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe
Our homemade tortilla chips just require a baking sheet, parchment paper (optional), and the ingredients. Spread your oil of choice onto the round tortillas, cut into 6 triangles, place on baking sheet, season, and bake! The final product will be salty, crunchy tortilla chips that aren’t greasy or heavy.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 13
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 5 cups 1x
- Category: Snacks, Sides
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1–17.5oz bag of corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup oil
- 4 Tbsp seasoning of choice (you may not use all of this)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray.
- Brush tortillas with oil.
- Slice into triangles. We normally get 6 triangles out of 1 tortilla.
- Place triangles evenly on prepared baking sheet. Be careful to not overlap the triangles.
- Bake 11-13 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool and serve with your fav dip!
- Store in an air-tight container at room temp for up to 7 days.
- Corn or flour tortillas will work!
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 98
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 2820
- Fat: 5
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: tortilla chips, homemade tortilla chips, healthy tortilla chips, tortilla chips recipe, homemade tortilla chip recipe, cinnamon sugar tortilla chips, spicy tortilla chips, seasoned tortilla chips