Chocolate and peanut butter are one of those classic combinations we can’t get enough of, so we had to create a recipe for healthy buckeyes. Buckeyes are essentially peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate and they. are. so. good. Our healthy buckeyes are the perfect dessert, snack, or post-workout treat! The creamy peanut butter and almond flour add a nutty flavor while the protein powder and honey add a hint of sweetness. Dip the peanut butter bites into dark chocolate (and top with an extra drizzle) and boom – you have the perfect (healthier) buckeye!
- Peanut butter – peanut butter is the star of the show in this recipe. We highly recommend using a natural peanut butter for a couple of reasons. One, it has less ingredients than the more processed peanut butters. Two, it’s runnier, making it easier to mix with the other ingredients!
- Vanilla protein powder – this adds protein (obviously) as well as a sweetness to the peanut butter bites. A few of our favorite brands are BiPro, Muscle Milk, and Gold Standard. Be sure to check out the Nutrition Facts label to see how many carbohydrates and added sugars are in each serving. We also look for a third party certification whenever choosing supplements! If you want to make this recipe vegan, you can use a plant-based protein.
- Almond flour – almond flour is used to help keep the buckeyes together as well as add a layer of nuttiness. We prefer to use a super-fine almond flour because of the texture.
- Honey – while still sugar, honey adds a natural sweetness to these chocolate peanut butter bites. If you want to make the recipe vegan, you can use maple syrup!
- Dark chocolate – while OG buckeyes use milk chocolate, you can use whatever type of chocolate you want! We went with dark to give these healthy buckeyes a rich, chocolately flavor. This recipe can be made vegan if you use dairy-free chocolate chips!
- Coconut oil – the main reason we put a teaspoon of coconut oil in the melted chocolate chips is to help the chocolate solidify and become more like a chocolate “shell.” This addition isn’t 100% necessary but we like to include it!
Traditional buckeyes are peanut butter balls made with peanut butter, butter, and powdered sugar, and then dipped in chocolate fudge. These are delicious but we found a way to make them a littttttle bit healthier without compromising taste. Buckeyes are similar to peanut butter cups, just rolled into balls. So if you love peanut butter cups, you will love this recipe.
Yes! Our recipe does require refrigeration (or freezing) because the chocolate will get soft at room temperature. If you store them in the freezer, just be sure to let them thaw out for ~10 minutes before eating!
These buckeyes will last in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks or the freezer for 2 months (if you can keep them around that long). This healthy buckeyes recipe is better after you let them sit for a day or two to let the flavors realllllllly mix together.
Our recipe omits the animal fats and cuts out a lot of the added sugar. We replace those ingredients with plant-based fats like more peanut butter and almond flour, as well as use the sweetness from the protein powder and honey!
Other peanut butter recipes you’ll love
If you are a peanut butter lover like us, you need to check out these recipes next:
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Bourbon Honey Frosting
- Soft Peanut Butter Cookies
Did you try our recipe?
If so, please rate and review it below! We would love to hear your thoughts. Also tag us on insta @theperfectpear8 so we can see your healthy buckeyes!Print
Healthy Buckeyes (Chocolate Peanut Butter Bites)
Chocolate and peanut butter are one of those classic combinations we can’t get enough of, so we had to create a recipe for healthy buckeyes. Buckeyes are essentially peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate and they. are. so. good. Our healthy buckeyes are the perfect dessert, snack, or post-workout treat!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 33 bites 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Desserts, Snacks
- Cuisine: American
Peanut butter bites
- 1 cup natural peanut butter (263g)
- 3/4 cup super-fine almond flour (100g)
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder (53g)
- 3 Tbsp honey or maple syrup (38g)
- 1/4 tsp salt (2.5g)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (5.5g)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (128g)
- 1 tsp coconut oil (3g)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, peanut butter, protein powder, honey, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl. Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty and mix with your hands!
- Roll peanut butter mixture into balls, ~1 Tbsp in size, and place onto baking sheet (~2 inches apart). Place in freezer for ~20 minutes while you prepare the chocolate.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, ~60 seconds. Stir in coconut oil.
- Using a fork, dip the balls into the chocolate so they’re at least half covered. Shake the fork to remove excess chocolate.
- Place the ball onto the baking sheet and repeat. If you have extra chocolate like we did, you can drizzle it on top!
- Put the bites back into the freezer for 5-10 minutes, just for the chocolate to harden. Enjoy!
- These buckeyes will last in the fridge for 2 weeks or freezer for 2 months (if you can keep them around that long).
- Switch up flavors by using different nut butter (almond, cashew) and chocolates (white, milk, dark)!
- Serving Size: 1 bite
- Calories: 116
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 54
- Fat: 8
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 6
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: peanut butter bites, peanut butter recipes, buckeye recipes, healthy peanut butter recipes, healthy snack ideas, post-workout recipes, easy snack recipes, healthy dessert ideas, healthy dessert recipes