These crispy buffalo tofu bites are crunchy, tangy, and spicy. If you’re looking to try an alternative to chicken or haven’t cooked tofu before or just love all things buffalo, you neeeed to try this recipe (don’t let tofu scare you if you’ve never prepared or eaten it!). With football season kicking off, tailgates and watch parties are starting back up. Buffalo apps and snacks are classic tailgate food and these buffalo tofu bites a must-try. The tofu is pressed for 20 to 30 minutes so excess water is removed, which prevents the bites from getting soggy. Then it’s cut into bite-sized pieces and breaded, baked, and tossed in our buffalo sauce mixture! These crispy buffalo tofu bites have the traditional buffalo flavor but are slightly healthier than a buffalo chicken wing. And they’re easier to eat 🙂
Help – I’ve never cooked (or eaten) tofu
Never had tofu before? It has a silky yet firm texture without much flavor. We love cooking with tofu because it takes on whatever flavor dish you use it in. In this case, it really takes on the buffalo flavor so that’s primarily what you taste. It’s even easier to cook – do you hate touching and cooking raw meat? Tofu isn’t “raw” so you don’t need to worry about bacteria touching counter surfaces or utensils. It’s also nearly impossible to overcook (you just don’t want to burn it). Once you cook tofu and prepare it properly, it will make a regular appearance in your go-to recipes! This buffalo tofu is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or gameday potluck! We highly recommend pairing it with our Greek yogurt Ranch dip for a perfect flavor combo.
We recommend extra firm. It’s the sturdiest and least likely to fall apart when cooking!
Breading and then baking this tofu gives it a nice and crispy crust. When reheating it, we highly recommend using an air fryer or oven as opposed to a microwave. We still recommend eating it fresh!
This allows a lot of the water and moisture to come out of the tofu before cooking. This will prevent the crispy breading on the outside from getting soggy while cooking.
If you use plant milk in the breading and maple syrup in the buffalo sauce mixture, it’s vegan! Since we use almond flour and no other wheat-containing ingredients, it is also gluten-free.
Other recipes you may like
If you’re preparing this crispy buffalo tofu for a tailgate, check out these other recipes:
- Pecan Crusted Chicken Tenders
- Best Hummus Recipe
- Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Seasoned Pretzels Recipe
- Simple Guacamole
- Crispy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip
Please rate and review the recipe below if you try it at home! We also love connecting on social media so snap a photo and tag us @theperfectpear8 so we can see and share!Print
Crispy Buffalo Tofu Bites
Our crispy buffalo tofu bites are crunchy, tangy, and spicy. If you’re looking to try an alternative to chicken or haven’t cooked tofu before or just love all things buffalo, you neeeed to try this recipe (don’t let tofu scare you if you’ve never prepared or eaten it!). These crispy buffalo tofu bites have the traditional buffalo flavor but are slightly healthier than a buffalo chicken wing. And they’re easier to eat 🙂
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 2.5 cups 1x
- Category: Snacks, Apps
- Cuisine: American
For the breading
- 1–14oz package extra firm tofu, drained & pressed*
- 1/4 cup almond flour, plus 1-2 Tbsp if needed
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup plant milk
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- Drain and press tofu.*
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, cornstarch, and seasonings in large bowl. Add milk and olive oil. If batter is thin and too liquidy, add 1 Tbsp of almond flour until batter is thicker (dip a piece of tofu in the batter and if it runs all over the baking sheet, it’s too thin).
- Toss tofu cubes in batter until pieces are evenly coated.
- Evenly spread tofu onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Flip pieces and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- While the tofu is baking, mix buffalo sauce, oil, honey, and salt in a separate large bowl.
- Once tofu is done baking, toss in buffalo sauce mixture. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with our homemade Ranch dip and enjoy!
*To drain and press tofu, line a baking sheet with 2-3 layers of paper towels. Cut tofu block into 1″ pieces and lay pieces on paper towels. Layer 2-3 more sheets of paper towels on top of the tofu pieces then place another baking sheet on top of the paper towels. Set a heavy pan or cookbook on top of the baking sheet and let tofu sit for 20-30 minutes.
- This recipe is best served fresh.
- Store tofu in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. We recommend reheating it in an air fryer or oven.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 246
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 1239
- Fat: 18
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 13
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 12
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 8
- Cholesterol: 0