This crispy roasted brussels sprouts recipe will instantly improve your veggie game and become a veggie you will WANT to eat. We promise. The key to roasting crispy brussels sprouts is the amount of oil you use and cooking them long enough at the right temperature. The layers inside of these brussels are crispy and crunchy, making it hard to not snack on them right when they come out of the oven!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Sadly, brussels sprouts get a bad rep and we think this is because most people haven’t had them cooked properly. They are part of the cruciferous family (think broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage) and contain a sulfurous compound that gives them a not-so-pleasant odor.
These mini cabbages are PACKED with nutrients. One cup of cooked brussels contains ~90mg vitamin C (for reference – the recommended daily allowance for women is 75mg and 90mg for men). They are also good sources of vitamin K, folate, beta-carotene, and fiber. We love this crispy brussels sprouts recipe because it roasts the veggie; there is no deep frying involved! The end result is a crunchy, salty, evenly cooked vegetable that combines so well with buttery pecan pieces and tangy dried cranberries. It’s the perfect fall side dish but we honestly eat them year-round!
The Keys to Crispy Brussels Sprouts
- To cook them properly, you want to make sure you’re using enough oil and evenly disperse it. We use a squeeze bottle to drizzle oil over the sprouts and have found this allows for even distribution. You could also toss the sprouts in oil before spreading on the sheet!
- It’s also important to cut the brussels into similar sizes. We prefer smaller, bite-sized pieces to get optimal crispness. The bigger the pieces, the longer they’ll need to cook. If you prefer larger pieces, no problem! Just make sure the pieces are uniform in size – if you have some small and small huge pieces, they won’t cook evenly.
- You want the oven to be at the right temperature and to cook the brussels long enough to get crispy and crunchy. We roast them for ~40-45 minutes at 375 degrees, or until golden brown and crispy. Depending on your oven, you may need shorter or longer! Peep in the oven and check periodically so you take them out at the right time.
- Let the layers flake off! These individual layers will roast perfectly and make brussels sprouts “chips” that are honestly addicting. Trust us.
Ingredient Highlights – Crispy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Brussels sprouts – like we said above, it’s super important to cut the brussels pieces into similar sizes to ensure even cooking. We don’t leave ours whole because they take longer to cook and the smaller pieces allow for maximum crispiness. Remove the hard stem and cut into halves or quarters!
- Olive oil – you can use your favorite cooking oil but make sure it has a high enough smoke point for roasting (think olive or avocado oil). Solid fats like butter and coconut oil won’t evenly coat the brussels, unless you melt them before drizzling.
- Pecans – these add a buttery crunch to the side dish as well as some more unsaturated fats. You can sub walnuts or almond pieces!
- Dried cranberries – as with any dried fruit, we choose the no sugar added kind to cut back on added sugars. We love cranberries in this recipe because they add a slightly chewy, slightly sweet tartness that goes so well with the brussels and pecans!
Crispy Brussels Sprouts Recipe FAQ
To summarize, you drizzle ample olive oil over cut brussels sprouts. Season with salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you’d like, and roast at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes! We love adding pecan pieces and dried cranberries for extra flavor and texture.
We highly recommend it because this allows faster and more even cooking, plus optimal crispiness! You could roast them whole, mash with the back of a spoon or sturdy glass, and then put back in the oven to crisp up.
You can definitely reheat them in the microwave but we prefer the oven or even air fryer. The microwave won’t re-crisp them but the oven and/or air fryer will!
Other Recipes You May Like
- Fresh Cranberry Sauce – low in sugar!
- Oven Roasted Butternut Squash
- Festive Fall Salad
- Homemade Honey Lime Vinaigrette
Rate & Review
If you made our crispy brussels sprouts recipe, please rate and review our recipe below! We would love to hear your feedback. Also snap a photo and tag us on insta @theperfectpearr so we can see your creation!Print
Crispy Brussels Sprouts Recipe
These brussels sprouts are crispy, seasoned, crunchy, slightly sweet, and.. wait for it. Healthy! We promise this recipe may cause you to forget forcing yourself to eat veggies and make for a perfect side dish!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- Category: Appetizer, Side Dish
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: American
- 4 cups (395g) fresh brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup (32g) olive oil
- 1/3 cup (39g) no-sugar-added dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup (30g) pecans, chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Chop brussels sprouts into quarters. Peel off any layers that easily come off of the cabbage. Place onto baking sheet.
- Sprinkle pecans & dried cranberries onto chopped brussels sprouts.
- Drizzle olive oil on top. Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Bake in oven for about 20 minutes, until soft.
- Pull out of oven and smash big pieces down with the back of a measuring cup or sturdy spoon until flat.
- Put back into the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops and loose leaves are crispy.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes and enjoy!
- We recommend eating this recipe fresh out of the oven for optimal crispiness.
- Brussels will last in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, toast in the oven at 375 for ~15-20 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 4
- Fat: 9
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 6
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 1
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: best brussels sprouts recipe, brussels sprouts, brussels sprouts recipe, crispy brussels sprouts, healthy side dish, vegetable recipe, vegetable side dish