Creamy homemade hummus is so much better than store-bought and we created the best hummus recipe for you. The tahini flavor is stronger and the texture is so smooth compared to hummus you buy at the store. We love this simple recipe for homemade hummus because we can customize it any way we like! Making hummus from scratch may be intimidating but there are only 5 ingredients: chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. There are endless combinations to spice up this creamy hummus recipe (literally) but we also love the classic hummus flavor. Pair with tortilla chips, pita chips, cucumber slices, baby carrots, or celery sticks and you have a great snack!
Health benefits of hummus
Original hummus can be versatile yet great on its own. We can’t write a post on hummus without talking about the nutrition benefits. It’s a good source of fiber because the main ingredient is chickpeas. The chickpeas are also a source of plant-based protein. Both fiber and protein help keep us fuller longer, so hummus can be a part of a filling snack. The tahini, which is a paste made from sesame seeds, and extra virgin olive oil contain healthy unsaturated fats, which are good for heart health.
It depends on your grocery store! It could be near the nut butters or in the international section.
Yes! What you use will alter the flavor profile of the hummus. We recommend using a seed butter like sunflower or smooth almond butter in place of tahini.
Absolutely! Our recipe is for canned chickpeas, but you can soak dried chickpeas in water and use them in place of canned chickpeas.
Use less liquid! We use the liquid that comes in the can of chickpeas to add creaminess and thicken it some. If you prefer thicker hummus, use less of the liquid. On the flip side, if you like it thinner, add more lemon juice or a tablespoon or two of water!
We actually recommend that! Letting the hummus sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight will let the flavors meld together and the hummus will thicken slightly.
An acidic liquid can be used to replace the lemon juice. Think lime juice, orange juice, or even your vinegar of choice. Just be aware that, like swapping the tahini for another comparable paste, the flavor profile may change depending on which acidic liquid you use!
High quality extra virgin olive oil has a robust flavor that is so good. It’s dark green color is usually a good indicator of the quality. Paler olive oils won’t have a strong, buttery yet spicy flavor. You can use any oil you prefer, we just recommend high quality EVOO because we love the flavor it brings!
- Classic – the original!
- Pesto – swirl homemade (or store bought) hummus into the classic and garnish with toasted pine nuts
- Spicy – blend your favorite spicy seasoning or spicy pepper into the classic
- Roasted red pepper – chop up roasted red peppers and garnish the classic
- Artichoke – dice artichoke hearts and use as a garnish and/or blend some into the classic
- Pomegranate and feta – mix in pomegranate seeds and feta cheese crumbles into the classic and garnish extra seeds and cheese on top
How to eat this hummus
We love serving this hummus with our homemade tortilla chips! You can substitute pita bread for tortillas to make pita chips if you prefer those. You can also dip fresh veggies like cucumber slices, baby carrots, broccoli or cauliflower florets, or celery sticks into it! If you make our creamy homemade hummus recipe, please rate and review or comment below and let us know what you thought! We also love connecting on social media so be sure to tag us in your story or post so we can see your creation 🙂Print
Best Hummus Recipe
Creamy homemade hummus is so much better than store-bought. The tahini flavor is stronger and the texture is so smooth. We love this simple recipe for homemade hummus because we can customize it any way we like! Making hummus from scratch may be intimidating but there are only 5 ingredients: chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. There are endless combinations to spice up this creamy hummus recipe (literally) but we also love the classic hummus flavor. Pair with tortilla chips, pita chips, cucumber slices, baby carrots, or celery sticks and you have a great snack!
- Prep Time: 10
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Snacks, Sides
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 1–15oz can chickpeas (keep liquid!)
- 1/4 cup high-quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2–3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2–1 Tbsp sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Include the liquid from the chickpeas!
- Blend on high until creamy.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with pita chips, tortilla chips, or fresh veggies!
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- Start with 1/2 the liquid from the can of chickpeas and blend. If it’s too thick, add more liquid until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Start with 1/2 Tbsp of sea salt, blend, and taste. Add more salt until it has enough to your liking.
- Serving Size: 2 Tbsp
- Calories: 119
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 343
- Fat: 9
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 9
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: hummus, homemade hummus, creamy hummus, how to make hummus from scratch, creamy hummus recipe, homemade hummus recipe, snack recipes, plant based recipes, plant based protein